To compare the overall survival (OS) in patients with metastatic RCC treated with ipilimumabnivolumab followed by either nivolumab versus cabozantinib-nivolumab.
- To determine PFS of patients treated with nivolumab versus nivolumab-cabozantinib
- To evaluate the 12-month complete response rate in patients treated with ipilimumabnivolumab followed by cabozantinib-nivolumab versus ipilimumab-nivolumab followed by nivolumab (patients who have CR and relapse before 12 months will not be counted as a CR at 12-months)
- To evaluate the rates of discontinuing therapy at 1 year
- To compare objective response rates (ORR, assessed by RECIST 1.1 and irRECIST criteria) for patients treated with ipilimumab-nivolumab followed by cabozantinib-nivolumab versus ipilimumab-nivolumab followed by nivolumab.
- To document the adverse event profile of ipilimumab-nivolumab followed by cabozantinibnivolumab.
- Histologically documented renal cell carcinoma with clear cell component, including patients who have sarcomatoid features.
- Any metastatic disease, including visceral, lymph node, other soft tissue and bone, measurable per RECIST 1.1.
- Measurable disease as defined in the protocol.
- Must be intermediate or poor risk patient per International Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Database (IMDC) criteria (1 or more of the following: Karnofsky performance status [KPS] < 80, < 1 year from diagnosis [including initial nephrectomy] to systemic treatment for metastatic disease, hemoglobin less than lower limit of normal [LLN], corrected calcium concentration greater than upper limit of normal [ULN], absolute neutrophil count greater than ULN, platelet count > ULN).
- Central nervous system (CNS) disease permitted, if stable and not otherwise causing symptoms or needing active treatment.
- Karnofsky performance status >= 70%.
- No prior treatment with PD-1, PD-L1, or CTLA-4 targeting agents (including but not limited to nivolumab, pembrolizumab, pidilizumab, durvalumab, atezolizumab, tremelimumab, and ipilimumab), or any other drug or antibody specifically targeting T-cell co-stimulation or checkpoint pathways. The only exception is for prior treatment with nivolumab or other PD-1/PD-L1/CTLA-4 targeting therapy on pre- or post-operative trials, as long as > 1 year since completion of systemic therapy.
- No prior previous systemic therapy for renal cell carcinoma (prior HD IL-2 [> 28 days] and prior adjuvant sunitinib > 180 days since completion and prior immunotherapy as above are allowed).
- No cancer therapy less than 28 days prior to registration; this includes radiation therapy, except for bone lesions less than 14 days prior to registration. There must be a complete recovery and no ongoing complications from radiotherapy.
- Not pregnant and not nursing, because this study involves an agent that has known genotoxic, mutagenic and teratogenic effects. Therefore, for women of childbearing potential only, a negative serum or urine pregnancy test done =< 14 days prior to registration is required.
- Age >= 18 years
- Absolute neutrophil count (ANC) >= 1,500/mm^3.
- Platelet count >= 100,000/mm^3.
- Hemoglobin >= 8 g/dL.
- Calculated (Calc.) creatinine clearance >= 30 mL/min.
- Urine protein =< 1+ or urine protein to creatinine (UPC) ratio < 1.
- Total bilirubin =< 1.5 x upper limit of normal (ULN).
- Aspartate aminotransferase/alanine aminotransferase (AST/ALT) =< 2.5 x upper limit of normal (ULN) or < 5 x ULN if hepatic metastases present.
- STEP 2 REGISTRATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Successful completion of at least 1 cycle of ipilimumab/nivolumab.
- Resolution of any treatment-related adverse events to grade 1 or less per dose modification section (this criteria does not include any adverse events [AEs] not attributable to treatment which are present due to disease). Exceptions for this criteria include patients receiving replacement hormone treatments (such as levothyroxine for treatment-related hypothyroidism or glucocorticoid replacement for adrenal insufficiency). Please contact study chair if further discussion is needed.
- No more than 70 days from last dose of ipilimumab/nivolumab.